When you purchase our list of manufacturing companies in the UK, you give your sales and marketing team the opportunity to connect directly with budget holding decision makers by email, phone, and post to promote your products and services.
Despite the common misperception that Britain doesn’t make anything anymore, we are in fact the ninth largest manufacturing nation in the world. Since 1948, through periodic recessions and outbreaks of civil unrest, the sector has grown by an average of 1.4% every year.
According to MAKE UK (formerly the Manufacturer’s Organisation), manufacturing’s annual output in £192bn, the sector leads the way in exporting and research and development projects, and it employs a toal of 2.7m people earning on average more than £32,000 per annum.
As well as specialist sector-related products and services, manufacturing companies have to purchase many other products and services to keep business running. The sector has been hit by both Brexit and COVID-19 but industry observers expect a rapid bounce back and a concerted effort to grow markets outside the EU27 countries.
In this article, we cover:
- the companies you can find on our list of manufacturing companies,
- what products and services manufacturers buy,
- who makes the decisions to buy within manufacturers, and
- the four services we offer to clients selling to the manufacturing sector.
Our list of manufacturing companies in the UK
How many manufacturing companies are in the UK? There are 64,345 registered limited and PLC manufacturing companies on our database.
On our list of manufacturing companies, we have the following@
In addition to the contact records, we have the following extra information on manufacturing companies:
- %age increase or decrease in profitability YOY (2%)
- company registration number (8%)
- incorporation date (8%)
- level of turnover (banded) (60%)
- net worth (7%)
- number of branches (90%)
- number of employees (90%)
- profit or loss making? (2%)
- turnover increase or decrease YOY (shown in pound sterling) (2%)
- type of premises (70%)
- website address (75%)
- year the original company began trading (40%)
More Than Words note – the brackets with a contained percentage refer to the percentage of records across our entire UK business database with this information. If you want to select which targets you chooe using some of these criteria, please tell us when you call or email us.
Our list of manufacturing companies is part of our wider UK business database – if you’re interested in targeting firms outside the manufacturing sector as well, please let us know when you contact us.
You can purchase the manufacturing database from us to use on email marketing, telemarketing, and postal marketing campaigns.
If you currently lack the infrastructure to do this but you’re still keen to use direct marketing to promote your products and services to manufacturers, please ask us about our managed B2B email marketing campaigns and our B2B telemarketing service.
What do manufacturing companies buy?
What manufacturing companies purchase can generally be broken down into five categories:
- additive manufacturing
- CNC precision machining
- forgings & castings
- jigs and fixtures
- metrology – equipment and service providers
- mould and die – standard parts and components, manufacturers, and service providers
- pattern making
- power transmission
- precision machining – conventional
- press tools – standard parts and components, manufacturers, and service providers
- rapid prototyping services
- special purpose equipment
- specialist welding
- stainless materials
- tooling technologies & materials
- work holding, cutting & ancillary equipment
Professional and consulting
- best practice consultants and services
- employment solicitors
- HR services
- health and safety
- commercial finance
- environment & waste management services
- training services
Handling and logistics
- forklift trucks – hire, sales, operator training
- lifting and handling equipment
- handling and storage services
- logistic services
- building services and equipment
- energy and utilities
- condition monitoring
- maintenance, repairs, and operations
- shopfloor supplies and equipment
- factory and plant assets
- printing and stationery
- website design and hosting
- IT and software services and consulting
- enterprise systems
- factory and plant systems
- network and infrastructure
- process systems
- product data management
- supply chain systems
How to sell your products and services with our list of manufacturing companies
We offer four ways to use our manufacturing trade pages to clients:
- self-service – where we sell our industrial directory and you and your team are responsible for carrying out marketing campaigns from it (12 months’ licence)
- managed email marketing campaigns – in addition to supplying you our manufacturing and engineering directory, we create an email design which appeals strongly to your target audience leading on benefits and with a strong call to action and send it out three times for you
- managed telemarketing campaigns – in addition to supplying you the database, we contact as many decision makers as we can (in your order of preference) by telephone attempting to make appointments for your sales rep, subscribe them to your company newsletter, ask the questions you want answers to, and more. 45 hours’ minimum booking
- managed email and telemarketing campaigns – in addition to supplying you the database, we send three email campaigns on your behalf (normally spaced out every two weeks or four weeks) and, after each campaign, we make a minimum of 15 hours’ worth of telemarketing calls on your behalf
Choose only the sectors and the types of buyer you want
We understand that many clients do not want to purchase the entire database. You may wish to only target certain manufacturers of certain sizes within certain geographical areas.
For each of the companies we have on the database, we have a senior contact. However, for many companies, we hold details on other types of buyer too.
Please speak with your account manager about contacting decision makers within manufacturers with the following purchasing responsibilities – engineering procurement, facilities management, finance, fleet, health and safety, human resources, marketing, operations, general procurement, sales, and telecoms.
1. List of manufacturing companies – self-service option
- An Excel spreadsheet containing the contact details of the decision makers within the companies you wish to sell to
- 12 months’ worth of technical support
- 12 months’ worth of advertising support – send us what you’re proposing to send to the decision makers on the database for our feedback and suggestions (normally within 24 hours)
- 12 months’ usage licence (use the data as often as you like in the 12 months from the date of purchase – email campaigns subject to a maximum of 12 per annum)
2. Managed email marketing campaigns plus data
- The self-service option plus:
- An inclusive email design – let us create a compelling, benefits-led, response-provoking email design with the text composed by a professional email copywriter to really sell your products and services and generate the maximum number of responses
- Three email broadcasts – once you have agreed the design and signed it off, we’ll then send it three times (normally spaced out every two weeks or four weeks)
- Live reporting – if we receive a response which demands immediate attention, we’ll alert you and your sales team with the details straight away
- Comprehensive reporting – on the third day following each send, our data team will send you a full report showing you how many decision makers opened and/or clicked through to your email and how many times. Ask your account manager about how to use these reports to generate an even greater number of closeable leads.
3. 45 hours’ worth of managed telephone marketing plus data
- The self-service option plus;
- 45 hours’ telemarketing to the decision makers on your list of manufacturing companies
- Our experienced telemarketers will present your company and its products and services with the aim of securing an appointment or a request for more information
- We’re also able to carry out market research for you including finding how much each decision maker currently spends on your products and services, with which competitor, and when any governing supply contract is due to come to an end
- Prior to the commencement of calling, a professional telesales script writer will create the opening and closing technique and wording to be used on each call together with handling the likely objections raised by a prospective client.
- You can track each call live and watch your telemarketer make notes in real time via GSuite
- If we’re on a call to a decision maker on your list of manufacturing companies and we believe that your company would benefit by immediately following the call up, we’ll get in touch with you straight away with all the details.
More Than Words note – although our minimum bookable calling time to GPs’ surgeries is 45 hours, you can book more time in if you like. Please speak with your account manager.
4. Managed email marketing, managed telephone marketing plus data
- As service 2 and service 3 except that:
- We split your entire campaign into three sections comprising of an initial email broadcast and 15 hours’ worth of telemarketing calls
- When you book this service, we’ll call every decision maker who opened and/or clicked through to your email using the techniques we’ve developed over years to convert as many of them as possible into closeable sales leads.
Industry directory UK – ask us about our list of manufacturing companies
As Britain recovers from the COVID-19 pandemic, business in general adjusts to Brexit, and companies seek brand new markets, the UK manufacturing sector is determined to make its operations as lean and efficient as possible.
If you have products, services, or systems which can help them do that, work with More Than Words to demonstrate to decision makers in the sector the benefits of being supplied by you, the money they’ll save, and the opportunities they’ll be able to unlock.
To speak with one of our team about our list of manufacturing companies, please call us on 0330 010 3495 or you can click here to email our marketing databases team.