Marketing to schools and getting nowhere? Read this
Find out how to effectively market to schools so that you can take advantage of this well-funded sector.
So, you've got the perfect educational service or product. A product or service that could transform the educational system, help kids to learn more easily, and help teachers and schools provide an exceptional education to the kids of the UK. It is the kind of product or service that you thought you only had to shout about and educational facilities would come running, and yet, your shouting so far has gotten you nowhere. Even trade shows, which at the time seem to generate excitement around your business, along with promising feedback and connections, lead to nothing more than wasted budget, ignored phone calls and unanswered emails months down the line. It can all feel like banging your head against a brick wall, can't it?
Marketing To Schools Is Worth It, And Some More
The good news is, marketing to schools does not have to be so hard, and it is worth your perseverance to tap in to such a well-funded sector. Did you know:
● Education (inc government spending) accounts for over 13% of what the UK produces (private and public).
● UK schools spend over £3 billion with businesses, which is about £100,000 per school.
● Schools work on 3 year budgets which means they know exactly how much money is available well in advance, and they know that it has to be spent by a certain point because it does not roll over.
● Many schools spend in Spring and Autumn every year, information that is invaluable i if you're looking to sell to the educational sector.
Source of statistics: https://www.morethanwordsuk.co.uk/education-marketing
There are some exceptional sales prospects within the education sector, and often, just one successful partnership with a school is just the start of your growth. If the product or service impresses the school enough to continue to work with you, the chances are they will let other schools know, leading to valuable referrals for your company.
How To Get A Piece Of The Educational Sector Pie
You likely already knew marketing to schools was worth your effort, but now we've got you salivating over the tasty looking figures and stats available, you're probably even more eager to know how you can get a piece of this pie.
We'll let you in on the secrets to marketing to schools very shortly, but first, let's take a look at the mistakes a lot of businesses make when they are trying to market to schools:
● Marketing in any which way, in the hope something will work
● No real plan for approaching schools
● Approaching schools at any time, rather than the times when schools are most likely to listen
● Investing money into marketing without any clear tracking on ROI
● Investing lots of money in marketing materials like clever demos that look good, but do not generate sales
A lot of companies believe their product is so good that schools, with budgets to spend, will simply invest once they know about it. However, this is simply not the case, something that is often quickly learnt by businesses in this space.
Luckily though, you came here, so you're not going to spend one more second marketing to schools in a way that drains your budget and gets you nowhere. Instead, you're about to learn the secrets to marketing to schools in a way that works.
Here are some of the key approaches to effectively marketing to schools:
● Marketing with a purpose
● Approaching marketing based on proven data
● Consistently measuring results
● Assessing and utilising true opportunities
● Understanding why a school does not use your services, or stopped using your services, so that you can shift and readapt to win them back
● Gaining access to high-quality contacts
● Using the highest standard copywriting and design
Some of the above can be done by anyone who has the right knowledge or skills (or who is willing to learn), but realistically, most companies trying to get an audience with the decision makers at a school need a little help from those in the know. A professional marketing company with experience in helping businesses just like yours properly market themselves to schools, could be exactly what you need to see the kind of growth you imagined when you started this journey.
You can expect a professional marketing company to already have a bank of leads and connections within the education sector they can utilise. They can help you market effectively with high-quality copywriting and brand design. You'll also have consistent data reports and analytics so you can see exactly how well your efforts are working. Best of all, you'll be able to reap the benefits of a professional telemarketer who will be able to reach out to the decision makers in schools, and follow up those conversations to ascertain interest.
Marketing To Schools Requires An Experienced Approach
To summarise, the biggest mistake most companies make when they start marketing their product or service to UK schools is they apply generalised marketing techniques. General marketing is unlikely to get you the kind of sales you want, in the highly competitive sector of education. Instead, it is certainly worth applying more of an experienced and skilled approach in a such a richly funded industry
Realistically, anybody could build contacts and learn about the nuances of marketing to schools. But if your business doesn't have that kind of time and money to sit out the next big round of school spending, perhaps now is the perfect time to invest in professional help getting your foot in the door.
Combine Your Approach
The More Than Words team provide clients with a combined approach of email marketing and a telephone follow up service into schools to generate leads, build awareness and identify opportunities. The service also includes the schools database and design of the email content. To find out more call 0330 010 8300.